Learn to skate
Learn to skate
Learn to Skate & Hockey 1, 2, 3, 4 Classes
Are you just getting started? The PIC offers year-round Learn to Skate, “Basic Skills” Recreational Ice Skating Classes.
The Patriot Ice Arena has experienced Learn to Skate coaches that will teach you the basics in a safe and fun environment, and give you a solid foundation to build on if you decide to get more serious about the sport or just want to learn some skating skills to enjoy our recreational public skates.
Every weekly half-hour group lesson includes one half-hour of practice following class.
- Eight week group classes cost $110 (when registering by the deadline date or rate is $140)
- rental skates are available for $3.
- Parents can skate on the practice session of the ice from 12:20-12:50pm or 7:00-7:30pm for an additional $30
Learn to Skate customers can purchase a skate rental punch card, 10 skate rentals for $20. That’s a $10 savings
The mission of Learn to Skate USA is to provide a fun and positive experience that will instill a lifelong love of skating.
The Mission of the Basic Skills Program is to provide a goal-oriented program that encourages ice skating at all levels and to enhance the quality of skating skills at these levels.
Objectives of Learn to Skate USA:
- Teach children and adults the findamentals of ice skating while building confidence and skills through each lesson.
- Provide progressive curriculum that ensures success from the first steps on the ice to the mastery of advance skills.
- Promote the health and fitness benefits of ice skating.
Equip each participant with the foundation necessary to reach their goal, be it recreational or competitive in nature.Stemming from the rebrand of the Basic Skills Program, Learn to Skate USA offers an abundance of enhancements tailored toward improving the experience for program directors, rink managers, owners, instructors, parents and skaters.
Learn to Skate USA is the only ice skating program endorsed by the U.S. Figure Skating, USA Hockey, amd U.S. Speedskating. Learn to Skate USA offers every participant a rewarding experience rooted in the lifelong benefits of ice skating.
Learn to Skate Classes
- Sundays from 11:50-12:50 p.m. with practice ice from 12:20-12:50 p.m.
- Mondays from 6:30-7:00 p.m. with practice ice from 7:00-7:30 p.m.
- Thursdays from 6:30-7:00 p.m. with practice ice from 7:00-7:30 p.m.
For the higher end skaters, sign up for Luddy’s classes Mondays 6:30-7:00p.m. low/medium or 7:00-7:30 p.m. for high or Thursdays 5:50-6:20 p.m. for medium (see registration form below)
Learn all of the elements necessary to pass the compulsory portion of Basic Skills freestyle levels.
- Sundays 11:50 a.m. – 12:20 p.m. with practice ice from 12:20-12:50 p.m. Mondays and/or
- Thursdays 6:30-7:00 p.m. with practice ice from 7:00-7:30 p.m.
ISI/Basic Skills Freestyle Test Class
(prerequisite: compulsories class or concurrent enrollment in compulsories class)
Coffee with Class:
Age: adults only Adult skaters of all levels are welcome! Come join our coaches on Wednesday or Friday mornings for some good conversation, and a skating lesson too! Skaters can learn everything from the Learn to Skate curriculum to maybe even a little Dutch Waltz. We’ll decide what we want to do when you get here! Class offered: Wednesdays or Fridays 11:00-12:00 p.m. for Series 1, 2, 3 + 4 only
Freestyle Series Class:
This program combines group instruction and freestyle sessions for the established private lesson skater who is training for US Figure Skating tests/competitions. Skaters enjoy the benefit of full-ice group class, off-ice skill training, and develop a great camaraderie among peers.
- Mondays (each series is 15 weeks long)
- on-ice 6:30-7:00 p.m.
- off-ice 7:10-7:30(low/med)
- on-ice 7:00-7:30
- off ice 6:35-6:55 (high axel proficient) for Series 1, 2 only
- Thursdays (each series is 15 weeks long)
- on-ice 5:50-6:20 p.m.
- off-ice 6:40-7:00(mixed levels)for Series 1, 2 only
|Series 3 (2018)|
|Sunday, 11:50am – 12:50pm||Jan 7, 14, 21, 28, Feb 4, 11, 25 (NO CLASS FEB 18TH)|
|Monday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||Jan 8, 15, 22, 29 Feb 5, 12, 26, (NO CLASS FEB 19TH)|
|Thursday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||Jan 11, 18, 25 Feb 1, 8, 15, (NO CLASS FEB 22ND) Mar 01,|
|Series 4 (2018)|
|Monday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||Mar 5, 12, 19, 26, (NO CLASSES Apr 1 Easter) Apr 9, 16, 23, 30|
|Thursday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||Mar 8, 15, 22, 29 (NO CLASSES Apr 5 Easter) Apr 12, 19, 26 May 3|
|Series 5 (2018)|
|Monday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||May 7, 14, 21, (no classes 5/28) June 4, 11, 18, 25|
|Thursday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||May 10, 17, 24 (no classes 5/31) June 7, 14, 21, 28
|Summer Series (2018)|
|Monday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||Jul 9, 16, 23, 30, Aug 6, 13, 20, 27|
|Thursday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm||Jul 12, 19, 26, Aug 2, 9, 16, 23, 30|
- Prorating available for late enrollments for Learn to Skate classes only. NO PRORATION on Developmental or Freestyle Series classes.
- Skaters should practice at least one other time per week. Click here to find a public skating session or “open” freestyle session.
- All of The Pond Ice Arena LTS coaches are available for private lessons. Please see our Coaching Staff list for details.